The Cycle Analyst (formerly called DrainBrain) is the first digital dashboard and battery monitor originally designed around the specific needs of electric bicycles. However, the flexible setup configurations, wide feature range, and affordable price have led it to widespread appeal in a range of other EV applications. From the dashboards of MIT’s solar car, to record breaking electric motorbikes, to small trains, powered wheelchairs, and even sailboats and airplanes, the Cycle Analyst has become the e-meter of choice for keeping track of the vehicle’s battery usage and performance characteristics.
$175 connectorized and ready to install with your Electric Bike Solutions Kit. Go to purchase page.
What it Does
Once connected to the vehicle’s power bus, the Cycle Analyst calculates and shows the following information:
- Volts, Watts, Amps: The instantaneous electric power being drawn from the battery
- Amp-Hours, Watt Hours: The net energy that has been pulled from the pack since the meter was reset. The accumulated amp-hours let you know the remaining energy in the battery pack with far greater accuracy than a voltage or LED indicator.
- Speed, Distance, Time: All of the basic features of a bicycle computer, including the average and maximum trip speeds, plus a total distance odometer.
- Wh/km: There are quantities this meter will calculate that you don’t get with other instrumentation, such as the vehicle’s average energy use in Watt-hours per kilometer or mile.
- Peak Currents and Voltage Sag: Records the maximum current as well as the minimum voltage on the battery pack.
- Total Battery Cycles and Amp-Hours: Retains life cycle information on the vehicle’s battery pack, such as how many charge and discharge cycles the pack has experienced and the total amp-hours that were delivered over its entire life.
- Remote Shunt: Unlike the watt-meters and amp-hour meters designed for RC hobbyists, the Cycle Analyst uses a remote shunt for sensing current rather than running wire through the meter, so you do not need to route heavy gauge battery cables up to the handlebar and back.
- Backlit LCD: The display readout is well illuminated for night riding.
- Water Resistant: The circuitry is fully enclosed in a sealed box enabling it to withstand exposure to wet and rainy conditions.
- Handlebar Mounting: Easily attaches to handlebar tubes from 7/8″ to 1 ¼” diameter with included hardware.
- Save on Power Down: Trip data such as amp-hours and distance are saved when the meter is shut off, and are restored when power is re-applied.
- Fwd and Negative Amps: Both positive and negative amp-hours are displayed separately, so you can use it to monitor charging currents as well.
- Wide Voltage Range: Operates from 10V to 150V, accommodating the vast majority of all small electric vehicles. A high voltage option for use up to 350V is available on special request.
- Flexible Speed Input: Detects vehicle speed either with a magnet and sensor cable or through the hall effect signal on brushless motor controllers.
- Data Logging Devices: Devices have a serial output stream that can be used for real-time recording of the vehicle statistics to a computer.
$175 connectorized and ready to install with your Electric Bike Solutions Kit.Go to purchase page.